COVID Safety Rules for HPTS 2022
HPTS has always been about enhancing our community. We have always been an in-person event oriented around meeting people and connecting. The interactive time between sessions is the primary purpose; the sessions punctuate the breaks!
The safety of our attendees is our primary concern. The organizing committee members are themselves struggling with the personal risks involved in gathering during a pandemic. We anticipate about 120-130 people will attend in person with differing ages and risk factors.
It is our goal to put safety first! We know that COVID safety precautions are annoying. We also know that for many people COVID presents very serious risks. The inconvenience is worth it for our precious friends.
For everyone’s protection, all attendees MUST follow the rules and requirements described below. If someone cannot or will not comply with these rules, they may not attend HPTS. Additionally, in-person attendees must review and agree to the In-Person Attendance Waiver and Release of Liability as outlined below.
- Proof of full vaccination. To attend this event, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and be prepared to provide documentation confirming your vaccination status.
- Physical cards, photocopies, scans, or digital records are all acceptable proof. Only those who have received a complete dose(s) of WHO-authorized COVID-19 vaccinations at least 14 days prior to checking in to the event are permitted to attend the event.
- Currently, booster shots are not required by the U.S. CDC to meet the definition of “fully vaccinated.”
- Per CDC recommendations, we strongly encourage all attendees to receive a booster if possible.
- All attendees MUST present proof of vaccination upon arrival to the event. If not, they will be denied entrance to the event.
- Face masks are always required in all indoor spaces (except when actively eating or drinking), and must fully cover the nose, mouth, and chin.
- We plan to provide four N95 masks per person. These will be individually wrapped. This is one per day from Sunday dinner to Wednesday lunch.
- Chapel: At all events in the Chapel (our main venue), masks must be worn inside (except possibly late in the evening). Snacks may be gathered inside but eating and drinking must be outside. Unless COVID statistics surprise us, speakers must remain masked while presenting. We will have microphones to ensure they can be heard well.
- Marlin: On Tuesday evening, some poster sessions will be held in Marlin, a small room near the Chapel. All attendees and poster presenters must remain masked inside Marlin.
- Director’s Cottage (whisky tasting): We will continue with the whisky tasting tradition of HPTS. Due to COVID, there will be modifications:
- Beer and wine in the Chapel will be extended to run from 7:00pm to 11:30pm. Many attendees will socialize in the Chapel. We will encourage consumption of food and drink outside but understand that when the Chapel is not crowded late in the evening, this may be relaxed. Face masks should be worn as much as possible.
- Smaller attendance at the Director’s Cottage: Attendance will be limited to 1/3rd of the attendees per-night. We will have an online signup sheet for folks that want to attend the Whisky Tasting. Interested folks should select their prioritized night(s) to attend. With 3 nights, we expect everyone can come at least one night and the attendance list will be published. Again, we hope to have whisky available to be taken outside and/or quiet parts of the cottage. Face masks should be worn as much as possible.
- Social distancing: We must all respect each other and their concerns for safety. Please refrain from handshakes and hugs without explicit permission. Pay attention and respect others regarding their comfort level for distance and safety.
- All attendees must provide assurance that they are not actively ill, particularly with COVID-19 symptoms. This is mandatory.
- Right to refuse access: We reserve the right to refuse access to people with symptoms of any illness, even if it may be a cold, influenza, or similar.
- Daily testing: We will provide each attendee with four rapid COVID tests on arrival at Asilomar. Each person must test on arrival Sunday afternoon/evening and again each morning throughout the conference.
- Daily self-reporting of a negative test result: We will ask each attendee to self-report their negative result each morning online.
- No active illness: If you are ill, display signs of illness, have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days, or have been exposed to COVID-19 in the past 14 days, you agree to leave the in-person event and avoid contact with attendees and staff.
HPTS is self-funded by registration fees. We will attempt to refund fees to anyone who must cancel or leave due to COVID exposure, test results, or illness. While we cannot guarantee a refund in all cases, we hope to offset costs where possible.
In-Person Waiver and Release of Liability
I understand that travel to and participation in events may increase the risk of exposure to communicable diseases or other unforeseen dangers.
I HEREBY RELEASE, WAIVE AND FOREVER DISCHARGE ANY AND ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DEMANDS OF WHATEVER KIND OR NATURE AGAINST HPTS (High Performance Transactions Workshop) INCLUDING IN EACH CASE, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THEIR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, VOLUNTEERS, AND AGENTS (THE “RELEASED PARTIES”), EITHER IN LAW OR IN EQUITY, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DAMAGES OR LOSSES CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE, FAULT OR CONDUCT OF ANY KIND ON THE PART OF THE RELEASED PARTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DEATH, BODILY INJURY, ILLNESS, ECONOMIC LOSS OR OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES, OR LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, WHICH I, MY HEIRS, ASSIGNEES, NEXT OF KIN AND/OR LEGALLY APPOINTED OR DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVES, MAY HAVE OR WHICH MAY HEREINAFTER ACCRUE ON MY BEHALF, WHICH ARISE OR MAY HEREAFTER ARISE FROM MY PARTICIPATION WITH THIS EVENT.
HPTS will continue to monitor the changing guidelines for the COVID-19 pandemic and will update policies as needed and will communicate those changes to registered attendees.
By registering for this event, I agree to abide by all health and safety guidelines and recommendations promulgated by federal, state, and local government agencies and officials, HPTS, and the event venue. I understand and agree that failure to provide documentation confirming my vaccination status will result in denial of entry to the in-person event.
 We want to express our gratitude to USENIX for granting their permission to use a modified version of their waiver and release of liability.